About Ayre Manor & Sooke Elderly Citizens' Housing Society (SECHS)
Owned by the Sooke Elderly Citizens' Housing Society (SECHS), a local non-profit charitable society formed in 1968 by the Old Age Pensioners Organization, Ayre Manor is supported by Island Health, BC Housing, and the District of Sooke in partnership with Sooke Elderly Citizens' Housing Society (SECHS). The new Ayre Manor assisted living and complex care facilities opened in July 2008.
Our Mission & Vision
Our mission is to provide a range of high-quality seniors' housing and care options, allowing residents of the Sooke Region to age in place, surrounded by friends and family. Our vision is of a caring community of residents, families, staff and volunteers in the best place to live, work and play.
Board Of Directors
- Strong Community Partnerships
- Care and Compassion
- Ensuring all Stakeholder Safety
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Dignity and Respect
- Honesty and Integrity
- Responsibility and Accountability
- Commitment to Excellence
Milestones in Our History
- 1964 – The Original Founders – OAPO # 88, Sooke
- 1967, June – Sooke Mirror, Pensioners Plan New Rest Home
- 1968, May 2 – Sooke Elderly Citizens’ Housing Society formed
- 1968, June – Incorporated under the Societies Act
- 1968, Sep 18 – First AGM
- 1968 – Purchased land
- 1972 – Built first 6-unit cottage building
- 1978 – Built second 6-unit cottage building
- 1984 – Built third 6-unit cottage building
- 2008 – Opens new building with 25 Assisted Living Apartments and 32 Complex Care Suites
- 2017 – Hospice Care suites added
- 2019 – Passed Primary Accreditation with Accreditation Canada
OAPO #88 playing bridge (1964)
Buying the Land (1968)
Our Future & Strategic Plan
There is a growing need for safe, affordable housing for seniors in Sooke, BC.
Long term, the Society wishes to optimize the full potential of the land we own towards fulfilling our stated mission. Our current goal is to build additional capacity to provide care and supports for up to another 64 residents by 2023. Our objective is to build in phases as resources and demand coincides so that our completed project will be sustainable for decades to come and will serve the community well.
To date, approximately half of the existing Ayre Manor property has been developed over five decades. Our Strategic Plan includes strengthening our commitment to enhance services on behalf of the community.
We constantly are identifying, in collaboration with Sooke District staff and the general community/public, required accommodation and care resources for the District of Sooke and area.
Our Project Proposal for this next phase is a four-storey addition composed of one 14-bed house per floor for a total of 56 beds and 8 units of independent/supportive housing.
The Society has a vision of growth for Ayre Manor and has a development permit "shovel ready" for the next Project Development Funding made available by the Provincial Government. The population of Sooke is growing rapidly and we find that we are growing beyond the ability of "neighbours taking care of neighbours."
Please consider active participation in this worthwhile endeavour.
Join SECHS (Sooke Elderly Citizens’ Housing Society) and make a difference in your community!
- Lifetime Membership - $100
- Annual Membership - $10
Please contact Ayre Manor for more information:
250.642.1750 ext. 101
Learn more about the Community of Sooke, BC